We uncover the true facts behind these 10 Plastic Myths
Join us June 8th during the Plastics Forum at COP for the Basel, Rotterdam and Stockholm Conventions at 14:00 - 14:45
The Plastics Forum will be held from the June 8-10 at the Geneva International Conference Centre at 17 rue de Varembé, Geneva, Switzerland.
While the world agrees that we have to fight plastic pollution in our oceans, there is still so much that we don’t know about such as where the problems really stem from and what the solutions really are. Our new website highlights the myths and misconceptions about plastic. The hidden costs of producing plastics are high and recycling isn’t always an option as one would believe.
Plasticsmyths.com examines the 10 most common myths about plastics;
1. Plastic production is cheap
2. The market for recycled plastic is robust
3. All plastic can be recycled
4. Bioplastics can solve all the problems caused by plastics
5. Plastic packaging is unnecessary and harmful
6. Plastics in agriculture cause little harm
7. Plastic waste is not an issue in textiles
8. E-waste is not a part of the plastic waste problem
9. If consumers did their part, plastics recycling would be an unequivocal success
10. Chemical recycling can solve the plastic pollution crisis
Visit our booth during the Plastics Forum to learn more about the common misconceptions about plastic value chains. Senior Expert in Waste and Marine Litter, Maria Tsakona will be attending!
The objectives of the Plastic Forum are to:
Build on the existing body of knowledge on best practices, successes and challenges, realized at the local, regional and global levels;
Provide a platform for knowledge sharing, awareness raising of latest trends and technologies and opportunities to stimulate innovation;
Create a hub for solutions to plastic pollution by connecting up-and-coming innovators to a wide audience of policymakers and experts;
Spread awareness of the work of the Basel Convention Plastic Waste Partnership to broaden its membership base
Release date: 01 Jun 2022